In spite of crutches and new, blue cast, L participated (of course!) in her Tuesday drama club performance. She was in two skits and all of the performers figured out how to work around her new, wider, less mobile self. We had to be there at 6:45 for the 7:00 performance that lasted about 1 1/2 hours. Parents were asked to bring treats for the little gathering afterward. I brought brownies – the good kind. They were gone in a flash. When L “poison tested” them, she declared, “Whoa. I see what you mean about the difference, Mommy. These are waaayyyy better.”
J has been a pretty good sport about all the attention her sister has been receiving. And, she has been very helpful, too. So, I made her favorite dinner – Pasta Carbonara. But, we were rushed and I didn’t take any pictures. Next time, I’ll get a good shot.
1 lb. dried spaghetti
8 oz. bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 Tbsp. butter
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 large eggs
1/2 cup half & half
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus additional for serving
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
large serving bowl that will hold all of the pasta
1) Set a large pot of salted water to boil for pasta.
2) Cook bacon, stirring occasionally, over med-high heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate. Pour off most of the bacon grease from pan.
3) Add butter to pan, then add the onions and saute over medium heat until softened. Add garlic and continue to cook until the onions start to color. Add bacon back to pan and turn off the heat.
4) While the onions are cooking, put unbroken eggs in a bowl of hot tap water to warm them. Heat half and half (microwave for 45 seconds on high) until very hot – about a simmer.
5) Crack the now warmed eggs into the large serving bowl. Whisk until beaten. Slowly add the hot cream to the eggs. Add the 3/4 cup parmesan, the pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. Whisk well.
6) Add pasta to now boiling water. Cook according to package directions.
7) When pasta is cooked, drain quickly (leaving it a bit wet) and immediately dump the very hot pasta into the bowl with the egg/cream/cheese mixture. Toss until all of the pasta is coated – the pasta cooks the eggs. Add the bacon and onion, and toss again until well combined.
8 ) Serve immediately with additional parmesan and black pepper.